Professional Opinion: Effective Speaking Enhances Your Professional Image
Suggested CDR Learning Codes: 1000, 1090, 1130, 7050, 7070; Level 2
This continuing education course discusses the value of proficient public speaking together with suggestions for developing your professional image through focused speaking strategies.
Course content was written by Marilyn E. Jess, MS, RD, a certified Wellcoach who has studied the art of speaking since 1998, offers workshops on speaking skills for healthcare providers and is the author of the e-book Ignite Your Speaking Skills. A member of Toastmasters International, she earned the designation of Distinguished Toastmaster in 2006.
After completing this continuing education course, nutrition professionals should be able to:
- Describe how public speaking may enhance RDs’ professional image.
- Identify three common traps to avoid when speaking about health-related topics.
- Name four strategies to increase speaking time and gain experience in front of audiences.
- Discuss the value of an effective brand or niche message.
- Determine ways to identify their key speaking message.
- 2.00 CDR