Writing Workshop: From Practice to the Page (Part 2)
Suggested CDR Learning Codes: 1110, 1140, 7000, 7070; Level 2
Performance Indicators: 2.1.4, 2.1.9, 3.1.3, 3.2.3
In this two-part workshop, participants will learn how to bring their professional experience to larger audiences through writing for professional and popular publications—both print and digital. This workshop gives hands-on tips for identifying appropriate media outlets, writing pitches, crafting articles, and working with editors. Participants come away understanding how to pitch an article to digital and print publications.
The workshop includes work breaks that enable participants to actually practice developing ideas for publication. We will include an overview of tips that help writers reach their audiences. Participants will learn how to make their message compelling by writing with professionalism and personality. The following areas of the writing process will be explored in detail:
- Breaking in—discovering what you have to say
- Getting to know the editors—and the readers they work for
- Understand the mission of your publication
- Finding your focus
- Architecture: following formats and building your case
- Writing queries, stories on spec
After attending this session, nutrition professionals should be able to:
- Verbalize seven ways to take writing from basic to brilliant.
- Develop a blogging plan to position yourself as a subject matter expert.
- Verbalize 10 elements of a compelling book proposal.
- Better understand the business of freelance writing.
Constance Brown-Riggs, MSEd, RD, CDE, CDN and Tamara Jefferies, MFA
- 1.50 CDR