Weight Management in Pregnancy
Suggested CDR Learning Codes: 4130, 4150, 4180, 5310; Level 2
Suggested CDR Performance Indicators: 8.1.4, 8.3.1, 8.3.6, 12.2.1
This continuing education course reviews the scientific evidence regarding weight during pregnancy and discusses the importance of maintaining a healthy BMI and/or gaining an appropriate amount of weight during pregnancy.
After completing this continuing education course, nutrition professionals should be better able to:
- Discuss infant and maternal health outcomes for all BMI classes.
- State three health benefits of a healthy eating pattern during pregnancy beyond weight management.
- Explain the importance of maintaining a healthy BMI during conception, pregnancy, and the postpartum period.
- Determine appropriate weight gain per BMI class as defined by the Institute of Medicine.
- Counsel pregnant women about a healthy eating pattern to promote appropriate gestational weight gain throughout pregnancy.
Alexandria Hardy, RDN, LDN, is a corporate wellness consultant and freelance food and nutrition writer based in Pennsylvania.
The author has no relevant disclosures to report regarding this program. She has certified that no conflict of interest exists for this program. View our disclosure policy.
- 2.00 CDR