How Nutrition Labeling Affects Food Purchases and Consumption
This continuing education course explores how the Nutrition Facts label and front of package labeling affect consumers’ food purchases and consumption habits. It analyzes the current Nutrition Facts label, the changes that will be implemented on the new label, consumer understanding of both label versions, the different types of front of package systems used internationally, and the potential impact front of package labeling has on consumer behavior. This information can help dietitians develop educational interventions and counseling strategies to support their clients’ effective use and understanding of food labels.
After completing this continuing education course, nutrition professionals should be better able to:
- Identify how and when consumers may incorrectly perceive information on the current and new Nutrition Facts label.
- Discuss the reasoning behind the changes to the new Nutrition Facts label.
- Explain why front of package (FOP) labeling was developed.
- Evaluate the effectiveness of different FOP labeling systems.
- Educate clients about how to use the Nutrition Facts label and FOP labeling to make more healthful choices.
Ann Lokuta, MPH, RDN, is a nutrition consultant and freelance writer living in North Carolina.
The author has no relevant disclosures to report regarding this program. She has certified that no conflict of interest exists for this program. View our disclosure policy.
- 2.00 CDR