The Physical and Emotional Health Benefits of Modest Weight Loss
Suggested CDR Learning Codes: 4000, 5000, 5370
Suggested CDR Performance Indicators: 6.2.5, 8.1.2, 8.1.4
CDR Level 2
CPE Activity Type 740
This continuing education course reviews research supporting the claim that a modest weight loss can improve both the physical and emotional comorbidities associated with overweight/obesity. Specific disease states are addressed along with the significance of a 5% to 10% weight loss. Lifestyle interventions are compared and long-term outcomes and weight maintenance strategies are discussed.
After completing this continuing education course, nutrition professionals should be better able to:
- Name three lifestyle interventions that promote modest weight loss.
- Compare and contrast overweight BMI with obesity BMI to determine how obesity class affects modest weight loss.
- List three physical benefits of a 5% to 10% weight loss.
- Analyze two dietary factors that aid in weight maintenance.
- Predict long-term challenges in maintaining a 5% to 10% weight loss.
Alexandria Hardy, RDN, LDN, is a corporate wellness consultant and freelance food and nutrition writer based in Pennsylvania.
The author has no relevant disclosures to report regarding this program. She have certified that no conflicts of interest exists for this program. View our disclosure policy.
- 2.00 CDR