Fad and Crash Diets: Why Do We Practice What Fails Us?
Suggested CDR Learning Codes: 2000, 4000, 5370
Suggested CDR Performance Indicators: 8.1.2, 8.1.4, 8.1.15
CPE Level 2
This continuing education course examines the appeal of popular crash diets in relation to weight loss and their cultural implications.
After completing this continuing education course, nutrition professionals should be able to:
- Identify three characteristics of a crash diet.
- Discuss the cultural impact of crash dieting in America.
- Explain the role of a dietitian in counseling a client about how to adopt a healthful, sustainable eating pattern instead of following a crash diet.
- Describe the long-term impact of crash diets on weight maintenance.
- Compare the motivations of crash dieters to individuals who choose more sustainable approaches to weight loss.
Alexandria Hardy, RDN, LDN, is a corporate wellness consultant and freelance food and nutrition writer based in Pennsylvania.
The author has no relevant disclosures to report regarding this program. She has certified that no conflicts of interest exists for this program. View our disclosure policy.
- 2.00 CDR