Food Labeling Requirements: Our Health Depends on Them
Suggested CDR Learning Codes: 1080, 2020, 4030, 4080; Level 2
This continuing education course explains what information is available on food labels, the laws regulating these labels, the oversight process to ensure proper labeling, the limitations of such oversight, and recommendations for improving the system so RDs can assist patients and clients in making positive, healthful food choices in the marketplace.
Course content appeared as the CPE Monthly in the April 2012 issue of Today's Dietitian. It was written by Dara Lovitz, Esq who has written numerous articles and book chapters on law and policy.
After completing this continuing education course, nutrition professionals should be able to:
- Discuss with patients the different types of regulated labeling statements contained on food packaging.
- Analyze the regulation of and limitations to manufacturers’ use of common labeling statements.
- Identify the US government agencies responsible for regulating food labels.
- Assess the regulating agencies’ limitations in controlling labeling statements presented to consumers.
- Compare suggested methods of improving consumer comprehension of food products through labeling.
- 2.00 CDR