High-Protein Diets and Weight Loss
Suggested CDR Learning Codes: 2070, 3040, 5370; Level 2
This continuing education course provides an overview of the current research regarding the potential benefits and risks associated with high-protein diets so RDs can better discuss these diets with their patients and clients.
Course content was written by Diane Welland, MS, RD, a dietitian, author, and freelance writer based in Springfield, Virginia, who is also an adjunct faculty member at Northern Virginia Community College. Her books include The Complete Idiot’s Guide to Eating Clean, The Complete Idiot’s Guide to Eating Local, and The Complete Idiot’s Guide to Belly Fat Weight Loss.
After completing this continuing education course, nutrition professionals should be able to:
- Assess and discuss high-protein diets with their patients and clients.
- List three physiologic responses to high-protein diets that result in weight loss.
- Make recommendations to patients and clients regarding the amount and timing of protein consumption to maximize weight-loss benefits.
- Assess and discuss the health risks associated with high-protein diets for weight loss.
- Provide guidance regarding proper management of high-protein diets.
- 2.00 CDR