Symposium Session: Looking at Nutrient Analysis Through a Culinary Lens: Recipe Development Strategies for Registered Dietitians
Suggested CDR Learning Codes: 1000, 2020, 8060, 8100; Level 2
Culinary nutrition is an increasingly popular area of the field of dietetics. With growing public interest and continued legislation on presentation of nutrition information, registered dietitians are being called upon to crunch numbers in all areas of the food industry. It is vital for registered dietitians to adopt proper nutrition analysis skills to help ensure that nutrition information is being disseminated properly and accurately. Along with these trends is an increased need for health-centric recipe development. Registered dietitians can learn how to apply their knowledge about food and nutrients to create delicious and healthful recipes for individual patients and wider audiences.
After attending this session, nutrition professionals should be able to:
- Understand the importance of proper nutrition analysis methods.
- Discuss the current literature about proper nutrition analysis methods.
- Discuss common pitfalls for nutrition analysis and recipe development.
- Review the basic nutrition analysis tools available for nutrition professionals.
- Articulate best practices for recipe development.
- Discuss tips and strategies for recipe development and effective presentation of nutrition information.
Dana Angelo White, MS, RD, ATC
Certified athletic trainer and fitness consultant in Fairfield, CT. Assistant clinical faculty member and sports dietitian at Quinnipac University.
- 1.50 CDR