Media Workshop: Who Needs the Media? (Part 1)
Suggested CDR Learning Codes: 1070, 1090, 1130, 7070; Level 2
Performance Indicators: 2.1.4, 3.2.3, 5.2.7, 11.3.6
In this two-part workshop, participants will learn how to increase their visibility and build their brand by utilizing strategic alternatives to traditional media – specifically, online videos and radio podcasts. This workshop will provide hands-on tips, and participants will come away understanding how to create videos and/or radio podcasts to promote sound science, smart nutrition, and good food.
The workshop includes work breaks that enable participants to participate in hands-on activities in small groups utilizing worksheets and checklists.
The following areas of the creative and production process will be explored in detail:
- Finding your voice – your unique niche and concept
- Exploring on-camera and audio options to determine your best platform
- Understanding the skills needed – messaging, interviewing, show format, recording/editing
- Identifying the tools and technology needed – software, microphones, hosting sites
- Developing a successful launch and promotion strategy
- Accessing ongoing support and resources to sustain your efforts
After attending this session, nutrition professionals should be able to:
- Describe how online videos and radio podcasts can provide an effective alternative to traditional media outlets.
- Explore and refine your brand/niche.
- Identify which platform(s) are the best fit for your brand and messages.
- Create meaningful and memorable content and messages.
- Identify areas for skill development.
Melissa Joy Dobbins, MS, RDN, CDE
- 1.50 CDR