Symposium Session: The Great Olive Oil Con
Suggested CDR Learning Codes: 2020, 2070, 4040, 5160; Level 2
Performance Indicators: 8.1.3, 8.1.4, 8.3.6, 8.4.2
You probably already know that extra-virgin olive oil is a superbly heart-healthy fat, and that both its oleic acid and polyphenol content affect its ability to boost heart health. But did you know that there are plenty of bottles lining the supermarket shelves that are both devoid of the ingredients that help to keep your arteries clean and may or may not be from the labeled country of origin? In fact, olive oil adulteration and mislabeling is rampant. Dr. Brill will take you on a tour of olive oil history, production, and health benefits. She will also give you valuable take away tips on how to fight back against the “great olive oil con,” and ensure that the olive oil you and your patients are buying is the real deal.
After attending this session, nutrition professionals should be able to:
- Identify the definitions of olive oil.
- Cite the proven health benefits of authentic extra virgin.
- Cite the prevalence of olive oil fraud.
- Understand the best strategies for choosing, storing, and cooking with authentic extra virgin.
- Identify current certifications for high-quality oil.
- Identify valid reputable resources for information on authentic olive oil.
Janet Bond Brill, PhD, RDN, CSSD, FAND
- 1.50 CDR