Understanding Morning Sickness: Causes and Interventions
Suggested CDR Learning Codes: 4130, 4180, 5310, 5420; Level 2
Suggested CDR Performance indicators: 8.1.4, 8.3.6, 12.2.1
This continuing education course describes the classifications of morning sickness, their corresponding symptoms, and potential fetal outcomes. Theoretical causes of morning sickness are also discussed, along with a variety of treatment interventions.
After completing this continuing education course, nutrition professionals should be better able to:
- Identify the two classifications of morning sickness, their corresponding symptoms, and prevalence.
- Identify the theoretical causes and risk factors for morning sickness.
- Discuss the potential fetal outcomes for the two types of morning sickness.
- Recommend diet and lifestyle treatment interventions for morning sickness.
- List the pharmaceutical options and medical interventions for nausea and vomiting during pregnancy and hyperemesis gravidarum.
Christina E. Schmidt Wood, MS, NE, is a Santa Barbara, California-based nutritionist and certified nutrition educator who has been featured on The Today Show and has written nutrition articles for The Bump. She also is the author of the Baby Bistro and Toddler Bistro books and boxes.
The author has no relevant disclosures to report regarding this program. She has certified that no conflict of interest exists for this program. View our disclosure policy.
- 2.00 CDR