Nutrition and Vision: How Diet Influences Eye Disease — Learn the Relationship Between Nutrition and Vision, Key Nutrients for Disease Management, and Supplementation Recommendations
This continuing education course reviews the relationship between nutrition and vision with a focus on glaucoma and AMD. Key nutrients for disease management are identified, and supplementation recommendations are examined.
Course content appeared as the CPE Monthly in the August 2017 edition of Today’s Dietitian.
After completing this continuing education course, nutrition professionals should be better able to:
- Evaluate whether supplementation is an effective strategy for eye disease prevention.
- Discuss three micronutrients that are positively associated with slowing the progression of eye disease.
- Compare the different dietary interventions appropriate for management of glaucoma, age-related macular degeneration, and cataract development.
- Identify the risk factors for the development and progression of glaucoma, age-related macular degeneration, and cataract development.
- Analyze statistics and growth rates of eye disease by 2050 and the impact these will have on nutrition intervention and counseling.
Written by Alexandria Hardy, RDN, LDN, a consultant in corporate wellness and a freelance food and nutrition writer based in Pennsylvania.
The author has no relevant disclosures to report regarding this program. She has certified that no conflict of interest exists for this program. View our disclosure policy.
- 2.00 CDR