Special Considerations for Youth With Diabetes
CDR Suggested Learning Codes: 3020, 5070, 5080, 5190
CDR Suggested Performance Indicators: 4.1.2, 8.2.1, 8.3.6
CPE Level 2
This continuing education course examines current research on trends in diabetes among youth, including prevalence, incidence, and risk of comorbid conditions. The course aims to provide dietitians with the tools necessary to assess and monitor youth with diabetes throughout the stages of childhood.
Course content appeared as the CPE Monthly in the March 2019 edition of Today’s Dietitian.
After completing this continuing education course, nutrition professionals should be able to:
1. Evaluate the growing trends of diabetes among youth.
2. Discuss federal laws to support the education of children with diabetes in schools.
3. Identify potential dangerous behaviors that result from mismanagement of diabetes in teens
4. Assess goals for diabetes management as they evolve throughout the stages of childhood.
5. Develop counseling skills targeted to youth with diabetes and their families.
Kelly Ciovacco, MS, RD, LDN, CNSC, is an outpatient and consulting dietitian based in Hingham, Massachusetts, specializing in pediatric and sports nutrition.
The author no relevant disclosures to report regarding this program. She has certified that no conflict of interest exists for this program. View our disclosure policy.
- 2.00 CDR