Vegan Diets During Pregnancy: Considerations and Keys to Success
This continuing education course reviews the safety and adequacy of vegan diets during pregnancy, the potential dietary gaps and their effects on maternal and fetal health, limitations in existing research, and how nutrition professionals can best support vegans during pregnancy.
After completing this continuing education course, nutrition professionals should be able to:
- Compare the effects of a vegan/vegetarian diet vs a nonvegetarian diet on fetal and maternal pregnancy outcomes.
- Describe key micronutrients essential to promote positive pregnancy outcomes in vegans.
- Differentiate between the use of food vs supplements in effectively meeting nutrient needs.
- Evaluate the need for supplementation in indivduals who may be at risk for deficiencies, especially of vitamin B12 and iron.
- Identify at least two possible risks associated with vegan diet during pregnancy.
Elizabeth Devine, MS, RDN, LDN, is a private practice dietitian specializing in sports, wellness, and plant-based nutrition at Eat and Run, LLC, in Amherst, Massachusetts.
The author has no relevant disclosures to report regarding this program. She have certified that no conflicts of interest exists for this program. View our disclosure policy.
- 2.00 CDR