Health Benefits of Yogurt
This continuing education course summarizes the health effects of yogurt, especially in chronic conditions such as gastrointestinal diseases, obesity, diabetes, and CVD. The emerging role of yogurt in bone health, neurodegenerative diseases, and cancer will also be highlighted.
After completing this continuing education course, nutrition professionals should be better able to:
- Evaluate the health benefits of yogurt consumption and its role as a functional food.
- Identify the health effects of probiotics in yogurt and their roles in the gut microbiome.
- Elucidate the effects of yogurt supplementation in gastrointestinal conditions.
- Assess the protective effects of yogurt consumption against the development of obesity, CVD, diabetes, osteoporosis, and colorectal cancer.
- Explain the biological mechanisms underlying the health effects of yogurt consumption.
Arpita Basu, PhD, MPH, RD, is an associate professor in the department of kinesiology and nutrition sciences at the University of Nevada at Las Vegas.
The author has no relevant disclosures to report regarding this program. She has certified that no conflict of interest exists for this program. View our disclosure policy.
- 2.00 CDR